I'd like to kickoff the discussion on the timetable and process for the 1.8
release. I am also volunteering to be the release manager.

First, a retrospective on the 1.7 release with planned release dates and
(actual):

Jan. 20: alpha (Jan. 22)
March 6: beta (March 20)
May 1: RC (June 26)
May 15: final (Sept. 2)

One observation I have is that each stage of the release does not really do
a good job at accurately reflecting our belief about the quality of the
code. For example, we have an "alpha" in order to have a major feature
freeze, but we still allow a significant amount of minor features (3 months
worth in the last release) such that the alpha and beta are hardly
comparable. Likewise, we had little confidence that the "RC" would actually
be released without further changes, but rather we needed to do the release
in order to get to the stage where we would only backport release blocking
bugs. Therefore, I am going to propose returning to a process that is
closer to what's documented in the Release cycle docs [1]. The idea is to
front-load all feature work to pre-alpha so that we can become more
conservative with backports sooner.

Here is my proposed schedule:

Jan. 12: alpha
  - Feature freeze including minor features (minor features were allowed
until beta in the past)
  - fork stable/1.8.x from master (in the past we forked after beta, but
now that we'd no longer accept minor features after alpha, we'd need to
fork sooner).
  - I picked this date since it is after the end of the year when I imagine
many people are on holiday and therefore able to contribute more to open
source.
  - Non-release blocking bug fixes may be backported at the committer's
discretion after this date.

Feb. 16: beta
  - Only release blocking bugs are allowed to be backported after this date.
  - Aggressively advertise it for testing

March 16: release candidate
  - Hopefully a true release candidate. If there is still a consistent
stream of release blockers coming in at this date; we'd release beta 2 to
encourage further testing and push the release candidate date out ~1 month.

March 30: final
  - Release a final as long as the release blocker stream is sufficiently
low. If not, give an update about the status and make a plan as to how to
proceed from there.

On a related note, I believe we should give some guidance on our thinking
regard LTS. Currently our docs say, "Django 1.4, supported until at least
March 2015." If we adopt 1.8 as the next LTS, I propose to support 1.4
until 6 months after 1.8 is released, which would be at least September
2015. Like 1.4, we'd advertise LTS support for 1.8 for at least 3 years
after it's released with a decision on the next LTS to be made as we
approach that date.

Feedback on the proposed schedule and handling of the LTS cycle would be
appreciated!

If you have any major features you plan to shepherd for this cycle, please
ensure they are listed on the roadmap:
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.8Roadmap

[1]
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/release-process/#release-cycle