I was wondering when this discussion was going to happen - it's good to see
some dates finally proposed, thanks Tim.

The LTS proposal is a good one. It should give people enough time (6
months) to jump to the next LTS release. I also think that 1.8 should be a
good candidate for LTS. Migrations and App Loading should have enough time
to mature after a full release in the wild, and the proposed 1.8 features
seem mainly focused on stability and compatibility rather than big sweeping
public changes.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to write a 1.4 - 1.8 migration guide to ease
the transition between LTS releases? There have been some concerns raised
on the ML lately about backwards compatibility and the difficulty in
porting between versions. The current way of migrating to a new release
involves reading each release note and checking your code base for those
changes, and move one release at a time. Maybe a simplified all-in-one
document that shows the most common backwards compatibility changes, and
has guidance on how to address each of them.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1b9ffc3f-e1b7-4176-b1be-ee18d7807c59%40googlegroups.com.