User is only annotated with backend when calling authenticate(). On
subsequent requests, or in non-request situations like the Python shell,
how will you know which backend to delegate to?

How do existing LDAP backends deal with this problem? (or do they just
ignore it?)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ba661064-25dc-48ce-9b88-e5b1df1709e4%40googlegroups.com.