As we approach the date for 1.8 alpha, I plan to send a weekly update on
the status of release blocking issues.

We currently have 3 release blockers affecting master. You can use this
Trac filter to see them:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&version=master&severity=Release+blocker

You can also see other tickets we are targeting for 1.8 with this filter.
This includes some of the remaining large features as well as a couple code
reorganizations we want to make closer to when cut the 1.8 branch to avoid
creating conflicts with the large features that are in progress.
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.8-alpha

Here is a summary of where we stand with each release blocker:

#23861 -
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23861> Fields referenced in
migrations cannot be (re)moved, even if migrations have been squashed
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23861> Owner: ?
model fields while keeping them available in historical migrations. Any
takers? If we cannot complete this, I propose we bump the deprecation of
IPAddressField until the issue is solved.

#22340 -
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/22340> Legacy Table Creation Methods
Not Properly Deprecated <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/22340> Owner:
Claude
1.7 make unit testing models harder". In short, we likely to need to solve
the performance issues with migrations before we can proceed with the
deprecation. If we cannot, we'll likely have to delay the deprecation.

#23271 - <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23271>Makemessages can
corrupt existing .po files on Windows
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23271>
Owner: Ramiro