Re theming layer: In theory (if you use collectstatic :) it should be
possible to include an "app" that overrides the css files. I believe it the
custom app would need to be placed above django.contrib.admin in
INSTALLED_APPS. Or you can even override the files by putting them in a
STATICFILES_DIRS.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/808c4f2a-298a-44b1-ab00-e765b3e404f3%40googlegroups.com.