We certainly weren't discussing removing without deprecating, were we? I'm
saying removing isn't worth the hassle to users, period. My opinion from
working on a fair number of inherited sites, plus sites where I don't get
to choose who contributes code I'm responsible for maintaining. I've
reported I have code I have to maintain written last year that uses these
tags, it's not just ancient crufty old stuff. These tags don't cause a
massive "brain stop" to figure out what "ifequal" might mean when
encountering them in existing templates.They are not that bad. This wart
isn't worth the pain to users to remove, in my opinion. Finding and fixing
all templates used by a site is NOT trivial. Fixing url was worth it. This
is not.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CACS9radxTh4mNtkQ%3Dfg5yUg_MF_EUu6Yqo%3DNGNqJg7e5vAwbwQ%40mail.gmail.com.