The 'con' side argument is that it would create in inconsistency in the
API, since we don't have any other negated lookups either. If we can get
the same behaviour by fixing the current API, Django should not introduce
an unnecessary consistency. ("Closed as wontfix by core dev" is not an
argument against the ticket, it is a simple rule that you must discuss such
a ticket on the mailing list before reopening it.)

Anyway, with the new lookup API, it has become trivial for any project to
implement the __ne lookup. It is the first example in the how-to
guide:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/custom-lookups/#a-simple-lookup-example.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/8d31a6bf-f435-4579-936b-3206c2c7c2e7%40googlegroups.com.