On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Marc Tamlyn <marc.tam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Major features merged into Django have generally never been as "perfect"
> as the standards required for smaller patches. There's a recognisation of
> the need for ongoing work, probably over the course of multiple versions,
> in order to perfect any major new feature. The effort involved in getting a
> patch like this to the point it can be merged at all is very significant.
> Many major patches (composite fields, templates widgets...) have previous
> not landed, sometimes multiple times, because they are nowhere near the
> standard that this channels patch is.
>
> My feeling is that the core team agree with Andrew that this is an
> important direction for Django, and 1.10 is the right release to include it
> in. Bug fixes, additional tests and so on can all be added between alpha
> and final as needed. The important thing is that we have broad agreement
> that the feature is good, the design is right, and an understanding that
> shortcomings will be worked on over the next year or two.

I agree with this completely. I've been using Channels semi-seriously for
2-3 months now, and in my opinion it easily clears the bar for inclusion.
The design is right, it's stable in production and under load, and has no
show-stopping bugs I've been able to find. Quite bluntly, it's probably
somewhat better than our average alpha-quality new feature.

My only real concern was around performance regressions, but now that the
WSGI "mode" hits no new code paths, that's no longer a concern.

Jacob

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAK8PqJEzFaLo1rbVZ6gxumRrne6NTxx8Qq0Tp77MaB1UKu0-Ew%40mail.gmail.com.