On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Mark Lavin <markdla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can (and do) appreciate the effort that's gone into this work while
> still feeling as though it isn't ready to be merged with Django. To be
> honest given that this PR contains almost no changes to Django itself and
> only adds new code, I don't understand why it can't live outside of Django
> while it continues to mature.

That's a perfectly valid question, and one I've debated a lot. It's mostly
because channels is meant to be a fundamental change to Django (inserting a
new layer below views and middleware), and having it as something
officially supported and maintained is far better than having a third-party
package everyone basically relies on but which doesn't benefit from the
support of a large team (having been there with South, I know I don't want
to go back).

It's even more difficult to argue considering it does exist as a perfectly
functional third-party package for 1.8/1.9, but the goal with channels is,
for me, to move Django along in the world of web technology and make sure
it's positioned right for what the job of a webserver is becoming, which as
far as I am concerned inexorably involves websockets and other "async"
things, and I think having it in Django itself sends the right message.

Most of the core team I have spoken to about this seem to agree with me,
which is why I'm pushing so hard. Obviously that trust and maintenance that
you get by being in core Django comes at a price, and the price is having
good code in the first place, but I believe that the code is very close to
being good enough considering we're labelling the whole feature as
"provisional" in 1.10 anyway (which is something Python recently started
doing for similar not-experimental but not-100%-final APIs)

(Also, I would posit that the fact it barely changes anything in Django is
part of the good design, but I am biased there!)

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uqpLNTLDuZzNQzH_4k_ZYzHx0pbuXzeKo7u80MjVMr3HA%40mail.gmail.com.