> The notion that I would now have to use a data store to run my app at all
didn't feel right

Fortunately, you don't need to. From the docs in the pull request... "It's
an optional part of Django; you don't need to interact with it if you're
just writing a normal website, but if you want the features, you can just
turn it on."

This isn't comparable to third-party packages, because it's a foundational
aspect of the framework. Channels making its way into core is advantageous
in a way that isn't nearly as true for other kinds of features.

> Political tirade follows

I don't think that discussion is likely to be a productive route to go
down. Everyone here is motivated by the same desire to make Django be the
best thing it can be. :)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/df8906f9-d4ea-41b2-b2c5-57e500a1f01d%40googlegroups.com.