Aymeric wrote:

> However I’m wary of deciding that a non-existent-yet library is the
> endorsed solution for using SQL Server from Django. It may be best to wait
> until it has reached feature parity with django-mssql and received some
> amount of real-world testing to move it there.

Regarding feature parity, the initial commit of this non-existent-yet
library will have as many supported features as django-mssql on Django 1.9
and 1.10. :P

The pre-release code will need to be hosted publicly to allow the Microsoft
engineers to contribute (and anyone else willing to do so). Having to host
elsewhere and then move it relatively soon afterwards will likely cause
confusion and unnecessary overhead. When I moved django-mssql from google
code to bitbucket, I was fixing links across the internet for the next ~12
months.

Do we want Django to only ever endorse established/mature projects? Or
should there be flexibility to endorse people (and companies) willing to
implement a solution.

The current case for the SQL Server backend might be non-standard in that
it's really a continuation of the django-mssql project, albeit as a rewrite
with backing by Microsoft. I can't imagine the Microsoft supported backend
not being the Django endorsed one.

Marc wrote:

> I'm definitely a fan of doing things under the /django banner. I think so
> long as we make it clear that this is in development then it shouldn't
> matter about feature parity - especially as django-mssql won't have a
> version supporting 1.9 or 1.10 anyway.

I like to think that I do a good job of documenting whether or not I intend
a specific bit of code to be ready for production. This would obviously
carry over for the initial build up and future pre-release branches.

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM charettes <charett...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree, such documentation is definitely lacking and even if it wont be
> commonly used it's invaluable for the rare developers needing it.
>
> Are you planning to include it in the official Django documentation?

I have no strong feelings either for or against it being in the official
Django documentation. I've been wanting to put together a talk about
creating a database backend and that will likely be the first pass at the
documentation.

Regards,
Michael Manfre

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAGdCwBsr5xUc3n0OF21i3GJAeGqa6ksRH86DNheoV_xpj3fuEQ%40mail.gmail.com.