On 09/06/2016 04:57 PM, Ivan Sagalaev wrote:
> I'm
> talking about this function:
> https://github.com/django/django/blob/master/django/utils/log.py#L66
>
> When `LOGGING_CONFIG` isn't explicitly disabled it first unconditionally
> initializes logging with the hard-coded configuration and then applies a
> user one, if present. And the latter can't really neutralize the effect
> of the former.

FWIW I agree that the current behavior here is broken and should be
fixed. The design seems to be based in an assumption that
`disable_existing_loggers=True` can "undo" the effects of the previous
config, when it can't, and in fact it does something much nastier -- it
silences all previously-created loggers.

I clearly recall outlining this issue in a Trac ticket at some point
quite a while ago, but I can't seem to find that ticket now.

Fixing this in a way that doesn't change logging behavior for projects
upgrading from a previous Django version may be tricky, unless we gate
the effect of the change on (yet another) setting.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/21d52615-35ac-4091-92c9-4ef14fbd4e0f%40oddbird.net.