On Thursday, 5 January 2017 04:15:31 UTC, Carl Meyer wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On 01/04/2017 03:39 PM, Tim Martin wrote:
>
> > 1) There are test cases where we have templates that should treat "x
> >    is y" as True where x and y are both undefined.
>
> Really? Is this an accidental side effect of some historical change, or
> really the intent of the test? That behavior seems buggy to me; more
> likely to be a bug-magnet than useful.

There are a couple of test cases in test_if.py:
test_if_is_both_variables_missing and
test_if_is_not_both_variables_missing. These are verifying this specific
case, so they haven't been introduced by accident. I haven't got as far as
figuring out whether it was a fully thought through decision or whether
someone just created these cases for completeness.

> >    I don't see any way to satisfy both these requirements. Is it
> >    reasonable to relax the requirement that "x is y" should be treated
> >    as True when both variables are undefined?
>
> Seems reasonable to me.
>
> > 2) There appears to be an inconsistency in the default_if_none
> >    modifier.

[...]

> >    I think this is just a bug, does anyone think otherwise?
>
> I agree.

OK. I think I'll open this as a separate bug and solve that first.

Tim

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4f1a359c-909b-48a7-b854-273b77066b19%40googlegroups.com.