I see that CommaSeparatedIntegerField is being deprecated, but I don't see
why. I know I'm apparently late to the discussion, but after it 16 months I
don't see any actual reasoning.

I recognize that a CharField with the validator is functionally equivalent,
but it takes a very handy field type and makes it completely inaccessible
and invisible to new users.

I see this
discussion:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-developers/wfp9qNpNpaQ/discussion

which lead to this ticket: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26154

Both links focus on the *how* rather than the *why*.

I disagree with the decision overall, but I'm more concerned that it just
kind of slipped through without anyone really thinking about it.

(To be clear, I don't begrudge Tim Graham, he was right to propose it, but
then there was no discussion on it at all that I saw)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/3d54fb68-5548-424f-8806-103c026b5922%40googlegroups.com.