The CharField(validators=[validate_comma_separated_integer_list]) version
is more explicit about how the database stores the data. In my mind, having
a separate field could give the impression that the database uses a special
field type or validation. Also, I think
CommaSeparatedIntegerField is/was generally something to avoid -- I've
never seen it used myself.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/6e661a98-df55-4be5-852e-99788df05945%40googlegroups.com.