I didn't answer your questions directly. Sorry for the quoting but it's the
easiest way to deal with a half dozen questions.

> How would possible prefetches be identified?

Wherever we currently automatically fetch a foreign key value.

> What happens when an initial loop in a view requires one prefetch, but a
subsequent loop in a template requires some other prefetch?

They each do whatever prefetch they need, just as a human optimizing this
would add two prefetch clauses.

> What about nested loops resulting in nested prefetches?

Nested loops only really come up when you are dealing with RelatedManagers
which are outside the scope of this. Or did you have some other nested loop
case in mind?

>  I would argue that correctly setting up and maintaining appropriate
prefetches and selects is a necessary part of working with an ORM.

Having been lead engineer on a code base of ~100,000 lines with over 100
calls to prefetch_related and a lot of tests specifically for finding
missing ones I'd argue it's one of the worst aspects of working with
Djangos ORM at non trivial scale.

> Do you know of any other ORMs which attempt similar magical optimisations?

I don't, but unlike Django where I have years of experience I have next to
no experience with other ORM's.

Regards G

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAD-wiX0xAr2SYMaTRZHrF--HAYDyz_98r%2BdniZLUqg%3DKEwS0Yg%40mail.gmail.com.