Hi Mark.

What I'm not sure about here is how things have changed from Carl's
original observation in the comment you link.

On Thursday, 6 September 2018 13:53:05 UTC+2, Mark Gensler wrote:

> https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16995#comment:1
>

> ... if it's an improvement at all, it's not enough of one to justify
making a backwards-incompatible change.

As such I'm initially sceptical.

I think I'm not really seeing your use-case, so perhaps if you motivated
that some...

What you do say is this:

> ...the length of the initial data may not be known at the time of class
construction.

OK. But there's nothing to stop you defining a base FormSet class which has
all the knowns and then using `modelformset_factory()` to pass in the
known-at-runtime `extra` value that you need.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.1/ref/forms/models/#modelformset-factory

Another way of saying "perhaps if you motivated that some..." is, Why isn't
that good enough?

Kind Regards,

Carlton

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/76a7d8ec-2d3a-4075-a210-ba200ef46013%40googlegroups.com.