Hi,

Just in case that JIRA crack was NOT sarcasm ...

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing  How many users would be
needed?  If going this way, I smell the need for a gateway / JIRA backend
for the community site and small number of actual JIRA users with the
creation coming from a single user with some sort of 'community-user' data
field patched in.  JIRA is certainly flexible and configurable this way and
capable of interface to other enterprise apps.  We would have to find out
how to make this work within their terms of service ...

Otherwise, its probably "BYOL" for contributors at about <$7 / month.  i.e.
possibly "$7/month for each month active", though I think they will change
for a constant number, which means managing floaters.  While new to this
community, I suspect that any other arrangement than these two is
prohibitive.  And even managing floaters for anyone not locked in by
commitment (contract) to the group adds risk to the group from the whatever
commitment exists with Atlassian for any fixed number.  This could
potentially bankrupt the group if not managed correctly.

My other advice is to "KISS" when using JIRA.  All that configuration can
lead to a tendency for organizations to attempt to solve all of their
problems building workflows there.  This is VERY STICKY, hence the behemoth
that Atlassian has become and will continue to be for some time in to the
future.

Finally, any major changes such as this are like an a manufacturing
organization changing ERP packages (been through several of those) - they
NEVER GO WELL, and inevitably, when the smoke clears users will long for
the old system despite its glaring deficiencies.

I therefore will hold that improvements should be made to Trac in an
incremental Agile fashion rather than any conversion requiring a waterfall
rollout.  This is the part where Trac should be STICKY for the group, or
this will be disruptive.

And besides, I like Python in general and don't to fall victim to 'pay to
play' to Atlassian / Oracle to develop open source software that, believe
me, refers everything Python as 'a bunch of scripts'.  I get enough of that
at work which is part of why I am here.

Regards,

Ira

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c5b4316c-7381-46bb-aba9-535147bccc66%40googlegroups.com.