So would you "defer" the other columns like "only()"?

If nothing else, you could try using .annotate(F('author__hometown')) (not
sure if that works) or .values('author__hometown') to just get the values
you need.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFO84S5M8o1ONpfm%3D27ofFRcYCeU%2B-pGxNmTbm7q1kKC6Mk64w%40mail.gmail.com.