On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:51 AM Carlton Gibson <carlton.gib...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Shai.
>
> On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 08:43:21 UTC+1, Shai Berger wrote:
>>

>> Is there benefit enough in GitHub Actions (over Jenkins) to justify a
>> move from an open-source based solution?
>>

> I don't think we have to move away entirely but it would be good to bring
> in something else... (or at least try it...)
>
> These are the top on my mind reasons for wanting to:
>
> * Mariusz spends Quite a lot of time™ maintaining Jenkins and all the job
> definitions etc. This doesn't go away with another builder but if we can
> move to declarative config file in the repo, then that could become shared
> work. (Jenkins has this these days no...? But we don't...)
> * I'd really like to try GitHub actions Windows builds. Maybe we could get
> Jenkins to behave better but currently we have a failure on every force
> push.
> * Maybe we can stage runs: i.e. do the lint, and some basic builds first.
> Do one Python against each DB before running then all. And so on, to save
> some trees. (Again maybe we might be able to do this with Jenkins but it
> seems more likely to actually happen if we give GitHub Actions a trial.)
> * I think we're running up against capacity for the sponsored space, so
> builds slow down. If we can spread the load we should get faster CI.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Carlton

I also share Shai's concerns. Thinking a bit about it, it is about
depending on other's resources for the workflow. Nothing in Django changes,
as all the tests are the same and can be ran with tox - and all the source
code is the same - the difference would be using Github's computing power
instead of Jenkin's for leveraging resources (i.e. manpower) which are not
infinite.

It would be ideal - to me - to have the entire workflow depending on FOSS
solutions. I guess this was one of the reasons that Jenkins was chosen
instead, say, Travis, but if the health of Django improves with this, the
overall impact to the the community will be better than staying being users
of a project which we don't contribute (at least to my knowledge): almost
nothing changes to Jenkins - well, it starts loosing users over Github, I
think the same may happen with Gitlab - and Django gets an improvement
because is already dependent on Github.

It would be also an alarm to Jenkins in the way that it needs to catch up
with others, if Github Actions end up providing the same functionality with
a lower setup and maintainability effort, the might migrate there.

When you use others' servers like in SaaS, there is no way but trusting the
other to "behave as expected", even using the AGPL. As long as it a
conscious decision, seems good to me :)