Hey Shai.

On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 08:43:21 UTC+1, Shai Berger wrote:

> Is there benefit enough in GitHub Actions (over Jenkins) to justify a
> move from an open-source based solution?

I don't think we have to move away entirely but it would be good to bring
in something else... (or at least try it...)

These are the top on my mind reasons for wanting to:

* Mariusz spends Quite a lot of time™ maintaining Jenkins and all the job
definitions etc. This doesn't go away with another builder but if we can
move to declarative config file in the repo, then that could become shared
work. (Jenkins has this these days no...? But we don't...)
* I'd really like to try GitHub actions Windows builds. Maybe we could get
Jenkins to behave better but currently we have a failure on every force
push.
* Maybe we can stage runs: i.e. do the lint, and some basic builds first.
Do one Python against each DB before running then all. And so on, to save
some trees. (Again maybe we might be able to do this with Jenkins but it
seems more likely to actually happen if we give GitHub Actions a trial.)
* I think we're running up against capacity for the sponsored space, so
builds slow down. If we can spread the load we should get faster CI.

Kind Regards,

Carlton