I'm in favour. Yes, it's some extra effort, and we have here some 30 or
40-odd projects that have either been migrated to this or will need to be
in the future. But if you're hopping between LTS releases, that's another 4
years, which seems a good chunk of time for me, especially if you just move
to re_path(), which is pretty trivial, enough to be scripted. And I think
if you upgrade at every release then you expect a bit more work to do in
that case.

I don't see a compelling enough reason to hold on to dead / undocumented
code for close to a decade.

Cheers,
Tom