+1 for deprecating as per usual, as per all the reasons here.

I'll also reply to Karen's comment:

I'd be much happier with fewer tedious upgrade tasks and the ability to use
> client's money for new features rather than "keeping up", sigh.

Since becoming a consultant just over a year ago, I've audited a number of
projects. I think in every one that started pre-2.0, I found bugs in regex
URL's, from missing $ signs that allow the URL to match any suffix,
match-nothing patterns, or plain wrongness. So there can be good reason to
move to path(). Of course, that's why it was added, because it's simpler
and can prevent bugs.

--
Adam