Hi,

felixxm proposed in https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/31617 to add a
DEP for this. The more I think about it, the less I agree.

There is no DEP for security, usability, developer ergonomics or
anything like that, so why should there be one for accessibility?

Like with any of the other categories, there are laws and regulations
that define a lower bound, but more is always better. And like with the
other categories, there are ways to find issues (think fuzzers) but no
way to verify the absence of issues.

So I think accessibility issues should be handled much like security
issues: When we find one, we fix it as quickly as possible. If there is
a conflict, say between security and accessibility, we decide on a
case-by-case basis.

Concerning which standard we should target: Tom made the case to target
WCAG 2.1 AA. I have not noticed any disagreement in this thread and
completely agree personally. Also note that many national regulations
are based on WCAG. So this question seems to be answered.

tobias