There was a GSoC proposal <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/django-developers/gsoc$20secrets$20manager%7Csort:date/django-developers/BUr4VgRI33U/q6GUUZczBQAJ> this year for a SecretsManager that could conceivably make what you suggest possible. Wasn't accepted though.

Not sure if it's a security issue with beginners that require help setting up settings.py though. Should be easy enough to just paste the file (modified) somewhere.

LP,
Jure