Hello,

In the context of access control, blacklist / whitelist makes sense only if the
reader has a preconceived assumption that black = bad, illegal, forbidden /
white = good, legal, authorized. You can probably see where I'm going.

Sure, blacklist / whitelist has nothing to do with race to start with, but I
find the parallel with Apartheid sufficiently obvious to make it embarrassing,
certainly because I'm not a native English speaker and I don't have enough
background on what has racial overtones and what doesn't.

I mean, I had been living in the US for several months whet someone had to tell
me the difference between "to screw" and "to screw up". (I'm grateful.) Do you
really expect a guy like me to know that "blackface" has racial overtones but
"blacklist" doesn't, and thus interpret the words correctly?

Besides, the connection didn't exist in the first place, but when people start
making it, can we still pretend it doesn't exist? If I wanted to troll a
linguist, I'd say it's akin to pretending that words people actually use don't
exist until they're written in a dictionary ;-)

Lastly, another argument for the statu quo is that humans are good at
interpreting words based on context, so "black" in "blacklist" isn't a problem.
However, I counter that humans are even better at making connections and
detecting patterns, even subconsciously and sometimes even when the pattern
doesn't actually exist. That's quite likely to happen here.

I agree that this isn't as clear cut as master / slave. That must be why it
took us six years to go from the master / slave discussion to the blacklist /
whitelist discussion.

No one's gonna get confused on the meaning regardless of whether we make the
change or not. This is "just" a political marker. It doesn't have one correct
answer. It has several answers whose correctness vary over time.

I think we'll make the change at some point. Some progressives will hate us for
taking so much time. Some conservatives will hate us for being snowflakes.
Since we already started spending time on this discussion, we might just as
well do the change while we're there, take some flak for a couple days, and
move on.

Best regards,

--
Aymeric.