Is the current order defined in any way -- if not one should consider it
randoms anyways and as such actually randomizing should not make much of a
difference. FWIW I am fine with making it the default and outputting the
seed at the end of the run so it can reproduced. I am curious if it finds
many remaining issues.

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 12:15:44 AM UTC+1 chris.j...@gmail.com wrote:

> For those that would rather it be opt-out, remember that we can always
> make it opt-out later, once we have more experience with the feature.
>
> Regarding the suggestion to have `--random 0` mean not to use randomizing,
> I also think that could be confusing. 0 is also a valid integer seed, and
> it seems nice to have the option of passing 0 as a simple seed if one
> wants. We could use --no-random for disabling if we ever wanted to make the
> feature opt-out in the future.
>
> --Chris
>

> On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:42:08 AM UTC-8 Mariusz Felisiak wrote:
>
>> I usually agree with new features being opt-in, but perhaps this case is
>>> different?
>>>
>>> If I had tests that are breaking if executed randomly, I’d want to know
>>> about it yesterday. IOW, I’m having difficulty imagining a scenario where
>>> the user would be thankful for not activating this feature by default. So
>>> personally, I’d like to see an opt-out setting for this in settings.py.
>>>
>>> /$0.02
>>> Fran
>>>

>> `--reverse`  will catch 95% of test isolation issues for you. It's highly
>> more likely that running tests in reverse order will catch isolation issue
>> for you than running them in a non-deterministic order.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/281504ae-18af-4d74-aca4-9d89de9b1eb9n%40googlegroups.com.
  • req... Chris Jerdonek
    • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Mariusz Felisiak
        • ... Fran Hrženjak
          • ... Mariusz Felisiak
            • ... chris.j...@gmail.com
              • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... Chris Jerdonek
                • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)