Related to this discussion, what's the current policy / practice around
linking to tickets from the release notes? It looks the release notes for
patch releases already link to tickets, e.g.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.2.6/

However, for feature release, it looks like the tickets aren't linked to,
e.g.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.2/
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/4.0/

Is the difference deliberate? Is it currently being done manually for patch
releases -- is that why it's being done / can only be done there?

--Chris

On Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 3:37:21 AM UTC-4 carlton...@gmail.com
wrote:

> [...]
>
> What I like about this is it "coalesce together commits by the same
> person". The other tools above would have resulted in a number of different
> entries for many folk as they use different email addresses (or their
> GitHub "email" gets used).
>
> $ git shortlog 3.2..main -n -s --group=author
> --group=trailer:co-authored-by
>
> I'm not quite sure how git then get to new and returning users, but
> presumably that could be a fairly short script to work out the new names
> since 3.2.
>
> *Release Notes*
>
> Adding names and tickets seemed to receive a positive response earlier in
> the year. So the question here, is what format?
>
> Python uses a couple of different formats
> 1) <Link to Ticket> : <Description> : Patch by <Name>
> 2) <Description> (Contributed by <Name> in <Ticket>)
>
> I think the main thing is to choose something, does anyone have a
> preference, either one of the above styles or something different? (My vote
> would be for the second option above)
>
> [1] https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/changelog.html
> [2] https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.8.html
>
> *Events*
>
> Responding to Tom's point above, I think we'd want to reach out to one of
> the organisers of an event to see if folk would be interested in exploring
> this further. It's far more complex than "just" adding some text to a
> release note. However, given that it's a gathering of Django folk it seems
> like an opportunity to do _something_.
>
> While I've seen what recognition can look like at corporate events those
> tend to rely on being Exclusive (think VIP areas et al), rather than
> Inclusive. I suspect for a Django conference/event we'd want to do
> something quite different.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> David
> On Wednesday, 7 July 2021 at 21:52:14 UTC+1 t...@carrick.eu wrote:
>
>> This is something I've been thinking about a bit as well.
>>
>> Mostly I think adding authors to the release notes is probably the best
>> bang for buck in terms of recognition. This is what I was mostly thinking
>> about myself. The release notes are (I believe) very widely read,
>> especially in comparison with anything on GitHub.
>>
>> The other suggestions are, I think, good and worthwhile, but probably not
>> as impactful.
>>
>> I am interested / curious about your last point. I think adding some
>> recognition to in person events might be nice, but I'm not sure what it
>> would look like in practice.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 at 17:38, 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers
>> (Contributions to Django itself) <django-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm all for exposing names in more places.
>>>
>>> Linking through to PR's from the release notes would also be useful for
>>> "pulling back the curtain" and making Django's code a bit less magical.
>>> Plus it could help the workflow for current contributors.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/d8069f8b-367e-46fa-be9a-e70f5d2f5342n%40googlegroups.com.
  • Rec... smi...@gmail.com
    • ... Carlton Gibson
      • ... Tom Forbes
        • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... Tom Carrick
            • ... smi...@gmail.com
              • ... Carlton Gibson
                • ... chris.j...@gmail.com