Hey Tim.

> As an infrequent contributor these days, I'm not seeking any more
recognition
> from my contributions, nor would more recognition encourage me to
contribute
> more. I'd rather the Django team spend their efforts on building software
> than on publicity.

Recognising contributions, in the many forms that they take, is about the
sustainability of the project.

We have a maintainership problem — it's OK now, but there's no depth to it.

We have a diversity of maintainership problem, in that the profile of
regular
contributors doesn't match that of the user-base as a whole.

There's much writing on the life-cycle of projects, and how they can either
open out to the community, or turn in on themselves and wither and die. (See
e.g. Nadia Eghbal's Working in Public for a good entry point.)

There's a whole host of inter-related points here but, providing
recognition of
contributions give public validation that helps those who aren't
economically
privileged enough to spend many hours on open source just for the intrinsic
reward of it — it can help people get jobs. It also helps us to identify the
hidden work that's done, so hopefully we can make that more sustainable. If
we
can highlight the contributions from the community that's, hopefully, a
little
more diverse than it looks like on the surface.

To make an effort to call-out contributors, especially those just starting
out,
is a small thing we can do.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/94e252a7-9d41-4eff-a415-de403157e9d7n%40googlegroups.com.
  • Rec... smi...@gmail.com
    • ... Carlton Gibson
      • ... Tom Forbes
        • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... Tom Carrick
            • ... smi...@gmail.com
              • ... Carlton Gibson
                • ... chris.j...@gmail.com