On Tue, Nov 1, 2022, at 6:54 AM, C. Kirby wrote:
> Having run the elections for the current technical board I agree with
> Andrew's assessment that a more open requirement to run is a good idea. It
> may create a bit more work on candidate verification for the DSF Board and
> Fellows, but anything that can work to encourage new blood in the
> "Leadership" of Django and the DSF has a +1 from me.
>
> I don't have a strong feeling on renaming of the board, but as such don't
> really see it as necessary.

It is not an absolute requirement from me, but I think it's a better
description of what it should do and also helps us distinguish it from the
"Technical Team" a bit more, so I will keep it in the DEP unless there's strong
objection.

> 1. There are several of timelines and triggers listed in DEP 10. A section
> that lays them out explicitly with references back to the details could be
> immensely useful. A flow chart perhaps - what are all the things that happen
> when the final release of a major version occurs. A list of trigger actions
> would be useful as well - Fewer Than 3 remaining members of the technical
> board - elections, Fewer than 3 mergers - select new Merger, etc. A TL;DR;
> for the Technical Board on the "day to day" working of the board.

Agreed, and I think this is something we should do either way - if this DEP
goes in, doubly so, as we want to have a single place to reference things
rather than multiple DEPs.

> 2. Probably controversial - an enforcement mechanism. The DSF Board has a
> regulatory requirement to meet and follow the bylaws as a registered
> non-profit. We can be subject to lawsuit if we don't. The Technical Board has
> no such liability, except for the, perhaps stronger, moral liability to the
> community. To be clear I am not suggesting a legal enforcement mechanism, but
> perhaps a community one. I dearly hope that it would never be needed, but not
> having one at all seems an oversight. Something along the lines of:
> "DEP 10 enforcement: Any DFS individual member may make a public statement of
> no-confidence in the technical board by identifying a material breach of DEP
> 10. Upon seconding by another individual member of the DSF the DSF Board
> SHALL no later than the next scheduled board meeting evaluate the merits of
> the statement of no-confidence. If the statement is found to be accurate and
> correct the Board shall inform the Technical Board of the breach and provide
> 2 weeks to rectify said breach. If the Technical Board fails to rectify the
> breach in the time allotted Technical Board elections SHALL be triggered and
> current members of the Technical Board shall be barred from running in the
> no-confidence election"

Interesting - having the DSF board moderate that makes it more agreeable to me,
though if we are going to introduce this we should _also_ introduce wording for
what happens if we fail to elect a Board, as this makes it much more likely
(barring the entire previous board from running).

Andrew