Adrian,

> I'd personally like to see better support for safe / N-1 compatible
migrations within Django itself, currently if you do CD / blue-green tower
/ etc. deployments you need to be very careful about the migration
operations that you introduce version-to-version, although I'm not sure
what that would look like.

There's a little project that we use at $WORK to do just that[0]. I'm not
sure its inclusion in core is even proposable at this time as is still has
received very little feedback from external users but the gist of the tool
is that it introduces a notion of phases to migrations (pre and
post-deployment) and augments the `makemigrations` command so it splits
operations that require multiple phases in multiple migrations and adds a
`--pre-deploy`
flag to the `migrate` command to only run migrations meant to be run prior
to a deployment.

I don't want to hijack the this thread to discuss it in details but feel
free to try it out and reach out personally if you'd like more details.
We've used it internally to deploy changes using ArgoCD to Kubernetes
clusters internally and I was planing on presenting the tool in the near
future at a Django event once we get more feedback about it.

[0] https://github.com/charettes/django-syzygy

Cheers,
Simon
Le mardi 29 novembre 2022 à 04:41:49 UTC-5, ator...@redhat.com a écrit :

> I'd personally like to see better support for safe / N-1 compatible
> migrations within Django itself, currently if you do CD / blue-green tower
> / etc. deployments you need to be very careful about the migration
> operations that you introduce version-to-version, although I'm not sure
> what that would look like.
>
> +1 to OIDC, CORS and DB defaults
>
> If nothing else, this thread has at least made me aware of some
> interesting tickets :-)
>
> Adrian
>
> On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 5:35:40 AM UTC+1 Adam Johnson wrote:
>
>> I am not sure the db level defaults PR is suitable for a GSoC project at
>> this point - it’s pretty well developed. I think it could do with some
>> review and testing form those who are interested.
>>
>> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 at 17:10, 'st...@jigsawtech.co.uk' via Django
>> developers (Contributions to Django itself) <django-d...@googlegroups.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 from me on DB defaults (constraints too). I've worked on many systems
>>> where Django isn't the only place putting records into DBs and having DB
>>> level defaults and constraints fixes a lot of common issues with that.
>>> Currently I create an empty migrations to then add them in manually when
>>> required
>>>

>>> +1 from me on moving models between apps, though I know it can be a
>>> pain. Contacting and freelancing means you come across a lot of projects
>>> where models are seeming in the wrong app or where you want to consolidate
>>> apps and being able to move them cleaning would be a wonderful addition

>>> an email to django-develop...@googlegroups.com.

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/91e944b1-98cd-4e5e-80e2-f0bad0874f93n%40googlegroups.com
>>>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/91e944b1-98cd-4e5e-80e2-f0bad0874f93n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/aa4d93b4-b1cb-453e-a1a3-7b06c1130b4cn%40googlegroups.com.
      • ... Matthew Pava
        • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... James Bennett
            • ... Shai Berger
              • ... Tom Carrick
  • ... 'John Whitlock' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
    • ... 'st...@jigsawtech.co.uk' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Carlton Gibson
      • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
        • ... Adrian Torres
          • ... charettes
            • ... Ryan Cheley
  • ... Mehfooz Shayan