Hi,

Adding to the above, I have two migration-related ideas.

The first is quite down-to-earth: Support for moving models between
apps. This is a long-standing problem, esp. in enterprise-y or just
long-running projects. I have expressed my dissatisfaction with the
current state of things a couple of years ago[1], and maybe it's time
to change that.

The second is a bit of a pie-in-the-sky: Allow auto-detection of custom
migration operations. The auto-detector has its change-detection mostly
hard-coded into it[2], and it doesn't seem easy or even possible to
allow third-party code to intervene. But I dream...

Note: These two are quite independent. Auto-detection of the fact that
a model has moved between apps is not required, supporting such moves
with flags to makemigrations or even a dedicated management-command
would be completely satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks,
        Shai.

[1] https://forum.djangoproject.com/t/why-do-we-need-apps/827/20
[2]
https://github.com/django/django/blob/main/django/db/migrations/autodetector.py#L104

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/20221126180231.372b01a2.shai%40platonix.com.
  • ... Carlton Gibson
    • ... Florian Apolloner
      • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... Matthew Pava
          • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
            • ... James Bennett
              • ... Shai Berger
                • ... Tom Carrick
    • ... 'John Whitlock' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... 'st...@jigsawtech.co.uk' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
        • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... Adrian Torres
            • ... charettes
              • ... Ryan Cheley
    • ... Mehfooz Shayan