On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:55 AM, adrian s <adriansto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I've been using virtualenv as recommended in my development
> environments.
> I am now migrating a project which was not using virtualenv, to another
> server and now
> have the opportunity to use it in production.
> I've spent a while googling this subject and I'm not sure what the best
> practice is.
> Is it common to run a production django deployment with apache behind
> virtualenv? If so,
> could anyone steer me in the proper direction for getting this setup with
> the wsgi file...
> Or, is virtualenv best for just testing isolated environments, and running
> production
> with the existing global space (I feel naive typing this out, so I must be
> wrong (: )
>  as is (isn't there more overhead with virtualenv anyhow?)
> I hope I made sense.
> If anyone has any relevant docs that clarify this (maybe my searches stink)
> I'd love to read
> over what there is so I may make an appropriate call.
> Adrian

I run a VPS with several django apps isolated into different
virtualenvs. They are served by either uwsgi or gunicorn and reverse
proxied by nginx. There are several good guides if you google for some
of those keywords.

It is a pretty easy set-up. If you were only serving one django app,
it may be slight overkill, but it may be worth the effort to get it
set up this way so you can easily add more django applications and
have them be completely isolated from each other.