Not sure if this is what Greg Donald is seeing, but what I have observed is
that if I have an error that causes model validation to fail, I get notified
of the error when the development server auto-reloads the file, for
instance:

----
Validating models...
xword.crossword: 'class Meta' got invalid attribute(s): ordering1
1 error found.

Django version 0.96-pre, using settings 'xword.settings'
Development server is running at http://0.0.0.0:8000/
Quit the server with CONTROL-C.
----

So actually the server continues to "run" but it is pretty useless given
model validation failed.  The annoying thing is that when I correct the
error in my models.py file and re-save, the development server does not
auto-reload the file.  I have to Ctrl-C and restart it manually.  (It is as
though encountering the model validation error has made the server decide to
ignore this file from now on?)  When my errors are in other places, that do
not impact model validation, the server auto-reloads when I fix and save the
source.

For me it was not a big hassle to reload manually since getting
models.pyright was done pretty quickly and then most work involved
other stuff that
did properly auto-reload.

Karen