I've run into problems as well with the fixture functionality.  The
short of it is that this is a new feature to the framework and likely
the kinks will be worked out in the coming weeks.

In the meantime you might check out one of these as a workable
temporary solution:
http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/167/
http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/14/

I can't vouch for them personally other than to say that they both
look to be fairly well thought out.