Hello all,

I'm having some issues getting a basic django project in production
mode.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS with the default versions of apache, python,
mod_python, etc.
- I've checked out the development version of Django in my home
directory, i.e. /home/john-scott/workspace/django_src and I've
symlinked it to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django as per the
official installation instructions.
- I've created a Django project in /home/john-scott/workspace/mysite
following the tutorials exactly.

The official documentation suggests keeping the django app code
outside of /var/www for security purposes and to instead keep the code
in a user directory (the specific example is '/home/mycode').
Everything works great with the development server. However, I've
encountered nothing but problems trying to go 'live'. I'm using the
following virtual host configuration, which again is modeled after the
official docs:

<VirtualHost *:80>
 ServerName    mysite.com #obviously not the real url ;)
 <Location "/">
  SetHandler python-program
  PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
  SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE mysite.settings
  PythonDebug On
 </Location>
</VirtualHost>

With this setup I get the following error:
ImportError: No module named django

In another thread (http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/
browse_thread/thread/e44569d185e36284/) someone said there were
permission problems but their solution was to place the django_src in /
opt and change the symlink accordingly. If I follow this, then the
first problem goes away but then I get the following error:
EnvironmentError: Could not import settings 'mysite.settings' (Is it
on sys.path? Does it have syntax errors?): No module named
mysite.settings

In the same thread the user also put the projects in /opt as well. The
real problem seems to be the Apache configuration, so I'm not
convinced the answer is to throw everything in /opt, especially since
none of the official docs suggest to do such a thing (IIRC the user in
that thread didn't have control over apache, so they had to be
creative).

I've followed all the official docs quite literally. Is the suggestion
in the docs to keep your projects in /home/username incorrect? Or is
there something about the Apache configuration in Ubuntu 6.06 that
makes deployment a wee bit more complicated than the docs suggest? If
so, should the official deployment guides have a note about these
gotchas? Once I get this ironed out in a sane way I'd be happy to add
a write-up to the SeverArrangements wiki page.

Thanks,
John-Scott