I actually have a production_settings.py file that only exists on my
server, is not part of version control, and is only readable by the
Apache user.

It consists of:

from settings import *

DEBUG = False

DATABASE_NAME = blah
DATABASE_USER = blah
DATABASE_PASSWORD = blah
SECRET_KEY = blah

where the latter two are constructed using a random password generator
and, in my case, are 20 and 50 characters each.

I then point to production_settings as my DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE for
mod_python and the production settings overwrite the settings that I
use for production.

Todd