On 11/1/07, Carl Karsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The generated settings.py contains things that are perfectly normal "source
> code" like things that should be treated as such.  How does one only commit
> part
> of a file to svn?

Why do you need to commit your project's settings file to a
publicly-viewable repository? If it's a private repo that only
authorized persons have access to, this isn't a problem.

> I think this kinda proves that the original design realized that there were 2
> types of settings, but didn't bother to separate them.

Yes, there are two types of settings: private settings and public
settings. And application-specific settings. Three! Three types of
settings: private settings, public settings, and application-specific
settings... and locale-specific settings. Four types of settings!

> My point is to separate them into 2 groups.  This separation would solve more
> than just the "keep secrets secret" problem, but also make it easier to manage
> the settings that are an integral part of the app.

Er... no, it'd make settings more complicated. Right now you configure
Django by putting name/value pairs into a single location: the
settings module. Your settings module is yours and yours alone, and
sharing it with someone you don't trust is a bad idea. Putting project
settings files into publicly-viewable places is, quite frankly, not
something Django ought to be encouraging.

> (db type, name, user, password) are all derived from an external source that
> is
> going to be different for each installation   So it doesn't make sense for
> them
> to be rolled into the set of files that is what gets installed.   (where
> "installation" is a copy of the files on a machine for either development,
> testing or production.  Even if multiple developers are working on a single
> production site, each developer will have their own installation.)

If you don't trust your developers to keep a lid on things that ought
to be private, you need to get new developers.

> I'm kinda confused by the resistance.  Do we really need to start presenting
> concrete use cases for combined vs separate?

You need to present a case for why it's so all-fired important for you
to be publicly posting full settings files, because to me that makes
no sense whatsoever; the settings file is not part of a Django-based
deliverable.