Dear List,

I'm currently involved in a project for building en entirely new site.
The choice of our informatics-advisor is Liferay. I now volunteered to
try to convince him, that "Django" is the better choice.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Liferay, and I'm still
fairly new to Django as well. I know that these are two completely
different "systems".

To be a bit more specific about what is wanted (what we really need is
another topic):
-JSR-168 (or similar specification) and SOA;
-Capable to handle more than one programming language in data
activities as well as in application activities;
-Independent of Hardware, Software, programming language, operating
system (as much as possible)
Has some sort of a software library which is expandable and has
already enough basic business logics in a framework to quickly develop
a new application on top of it;
-Has a web services kind of API to the external components, so the
independency to any environment is as low as possible;
-Easy authority structures preferable via an external LDAP/X.500
system;
-Editorial capabilities (separation for writing, checking, publishing
and maintaining);
-Capable to automatically deal with the differences between the web
browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.);
-Able to (automatically) synchronize (and converting) data if these
data’s are used and/or distributed over more than one database;
-Relatively easily to backup;
-Relatively easily to maintain.

I'm well aware that there are many things mixed up, not belonging to
the question of "using Django or not", but I do not know how to put it
simpler, because the mentioned points above are the "cracking ponts"
to choose "something".

Does anyone have experience which she/he is willing to share with me?
If there is something other than Django that fits these "needs", I'm
very open for a hint, too.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer to my somewhat off-
topic post,

Nicola Jordan