The question is not who you trust - ARC doesn't directly change that - but how
you reliably automate determining whether the message was forwarded only by
people that you trust. At present, you have to dig through Received: headers,
infer per-forwarder internal structure and behaviour and, frequently, guess.
ARC addresses that problem, not the one you're asking about.

The amount of discussion to date about specific historical whitelist proposals
is neither here nor there. The question is whether ARC's degree of support for
reliable automatic chain-of-custody assessment provides a material improvement
for a group of receivers interoperating with a group of forwarders. So long as
the answer to that question is yes, then this is progress. I'd suggest that:

  *   large receivers are generally keen to implement things that materially
improve their ability to separate wheat from chaff (ARC does this if it's
implemented by any significant subset of mailing-list operators), and
  *   at least some of the mailing-list operators whose discomfort with DMARC
interoperation is the need to disrupt long-traditional norms (leaving From:
unchanged but tagging Subject:, stripping multiparts, adding footers, ...) will
be willing to perform ARC processing on messages on the way in, in order to
interoperate without giving up traditional mailing-list operations.

If these are both true, then ARC is a clear benefit.

- Roland

[http://www.trustsphere.com/images/signatures/trustsphere.png]<https://www.trustsphere.com>
     Roland Turner | Labs Director
Singapore | M: +65 96700022