J.Gomez,

> Is this ARC thing a mechanism to know when it is safe to ignore
> the sender's DMARC policy of "p=reject"?

It helps in judging that, but isn't complete by itself (you still need a
reputation system for the intermediaries).

> And if it is such, shouldn't it be part of the DMARC standard?

I think it is separate because DMARC is directed to solving a problem for email
originators, whereas ARC is directed to mail list operators to help mitigate
the consequences of DMARC for them.

Of course both impose mechanisms on email destinations; but the goal is that
these additional mechanisms can improve the quality of the classification
results (spam versus ham) applied to their user's inboxes.

-- Shal