Yes it is a "you have to be this tall to ride with us". For instance, many
Wordpress sites are on URL blocking lists, because the managers cannot keep
with basic security updates. So if you want to host a website, you have to
be that tall to ride with us (or find a hosting company, that will give you
a child seat)

The mail ecosystem is going this way too. The tools are opensource,
available to all, but you need to deploy them and maintain them.

The spat of serious data breaches because of email, is making all of us
very nervous that kids can create so much havoc so easily...