On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:14 PM [GMT+1=CET], Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> J. Gomez writes:
>
> > I think we are not talking about the same thing: when I said
> > "depends on DMARC's success", I meant "depends on DMARC's success
> > as an implemented technology in the real world", whereas it seems
> > you understood "depends on a successful DMARC check".
>
> No, we are talking about the same thing.  What I am saying is that
> DMARC is already a "success as an implemented technology in the real
> world" by any reasonable standard, because it *does* work for exactly
> the transactional mail flows you worry about.

I do not agree. As long a major ESPs downgrade p=reject to p=quarantine or even
p=none on reception of email which fails DMARC checks from domains whose Owner
has published p=reject, DMARC is little more than a reporting protocol as
Vlatko Salaj has already said in another post to this list. Which is nice, but
is not a "success as an implemented technology in the real world" for DMARC,
because DMARC aims to be more than just a reporting tool.

I know for sure I will publish only p=none for my client's domains, and use
DMARC only as a reporting tool, as long as DMARC's p=reject cannot be reliably
relied on. But I would love to be able to reliably rely on DMARC's p=reject.

In fact, I think that if at the end of all this process we cannot find a way to
make p=reject to be reliably relied on, then p=reject should be suppressed from
the DMARC formal specification, as p=reject would effectively be equal to
p=do-whatever-who-cares.

Regard,
J.Gomez