On Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:25 PM [GMT+1=CET], John Levine wrote:

> > But do you think the general email-using population will be happy
> > to miss authentic email from eBay, Amazon, Paypal and American
> > Airlines, just to get email from some mailing list(s) delivered to
> > their inbox?
>
> My impression is that most users put a very low value on commercial
> bulk mail.  I'm not aware of any statistics available to the public.

Authentic email from eBay, Amazon, Paypal and American Airlines may not be
"commercial bulk email." Instead, it can be email confiming the success of
important transactions, account break-in attempts, or notifying changes in
schedules, etc., and therefore be of very high value to end-users.

> > Also, your mailing list would work again in a heartbeat, in a
> > DMARC-world, if you just configured them to put the original
> > Header-From into the "description" of a new Header-From, like:
>
> We are aware of the various kludges to circumvent DMARC breakage.  We
> have a whole wiki about them at
> http://wiki.asrg.sp.am/wiki/Mitigating_DMARC_damage_to_third_party_mail
>
> Rehashing them here and asserting that they are solutions rather than
> kludges would not be productive.

You say that as if a solution that works but you don't like is not a solution
but a kludge. Internet Email is built on a pile of kludges after kludges. It
just wasn't designed to live as long as it has.

Why is this kludge of a solution worst that the kludge of closing down open
email relays in the past? The disappearance of open email relays surely
affected badly several legitimate use cases of email...

Regards,
J.Gomez