On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What we're seeking to do here is add it to A-R as a way to get that
> information through to a place where DMARC can get it to include in
> reports.  If we want to redefine what A-R is to meet that requirement, then
> that's something consensus could certainly do, but if not, I'd prefer not
> to use it as a substrate against its stated purpose.

Absolutely understood, and agreed.

> We could also, however, standardize "X-Source-IP" (without the "X-", of
> course) and use that, as it already has numerous consumers and other
> applications well beyond ARC and DMARC.

Okay.

My original point for smtp.client-id was simply to transfer the source_ip
for a DMARC report, because it is valuable for a final report consumer. I
suggested the AR because it seemed like the cleanest way without needing to
modify the spec. Clearly transmission via the AR/AAR is the wrong way to do
this based on the purpose of the AR.

So I guess returning to the original thread, there are two matters:

1) Should we stamp header.b in the A-R? (consensus seems to be yes)

2) How should we transmit the source_ip for the DMARC report?

Murray, does your suggestion mean a separate doc regarding a signed
Source-IP header that would then be referenced in ARC and covered by...
what, the AS? Or is there a cleaner way?

Thanks for the context and suggestion!

Seth

--

[image: logo for sig file.png]

Bringing Trust to Email

Seth Blank | Head of Product for Open Source and Protocols
s...@valimail.com
+1-415-894-2724 <415-894-2724>