On Tue 17/Apr/2018 01:23:17 +0200 Brandon Long wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

>>> I'd have to rethink if p=none was really worth publishing if that happened.
>>> guess we'd need p=none-really then.
>>
>> Given that From: rewriting is the de-facto standard, this WG should
>> publish an RFC about that, including recommendations and caveats about how
>> to do it.>>
>> Its Security Considerations, for example, should mention cases like, say:
>>
>>     From: The POTUS via phishing-attempt <obsc...@phisherman.example.com>
>>

>> For a personal opinion, I don't know what is the purpose of having GG
>> rewrite From:'s of a given domain.  Perhaps, it is to let users
>> participate to groups without revealing their real addresses to spammers.
>> That sounds legitimate to me...>
> Do you mean, that user's don't understand why some are rewritten and some
> aren't?

Some may understand.  I recall when it was rather common to see addresses like,
say, bl...@nospamgoogle.com, supposedly obvious to human subscribers.  As email
authentication took on, tools tended to disallow such kind of free editing of
From: (a trend that possibly impacted negatively on posters' ability to
understand email mechanisms.)  Now, servers should supply something else to
provide a similar grade of privacy to mailing list subscribers.  The address
blong=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org (to which I'm writing) results in a similar
soft concealing as the former example.  However, the X-Original-From betrays
such purpose.

> That's definitely true, and an interesting question as to whether Groups
> should always rewrite.

Yes, and I bet there are various other interesting questions as well.  rfc7960
quickly covers the whole topic in the first bullet of Section 4.1.3.3.  And, as
an informative rfc, it makes no recommendations.  This WG can do better than
that.