On Wed 18/Apr/2018 01:46:26 +0200 Brandon Long wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 4:16 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

>>> Do you mean, that user's don't understand why some are rewritten and some
>>> aren't?
>>
>> Some may understand.  I recall when it was rather common to see addresses
>> like, say, bl...@nospamgoogle.com, supposedly obvious to human
>> subscribers.  As email authentication took on, tools tended to disallow
>> such kind of free editing of From: (a trend that possibly impacted
>> negatively on posters' ability to understand email mechanisms.)  Now,
>> servers should supply something else to provide a similar grade of privacy
>> to mailing list subscribers.  The address
>> blong=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org (to which I'm writing) results in a
>> similar soft concealing as the former example.  However, the
>> X-Original-From betrays such purpose.>
> Frankly, the number of people who did that was vanishingly small, and the
> general utility of such things was also pretty tiny.  The major mailing list
> providers did a better job of just not publishing the email address unhidden
> in the archives.
You mean spammers would rather harvest from web archives than subscribe to
mailing lists directly?  Many lists restrict archive access, or have no archive
at all.

I slightly disagree about the general utility of those tricks.  The more
spammers have to code around idioms such as "@NOSPAM" or "user at domain dot",
the slipperier their harvesting.  Anyway, what's the practical merit of
X-Original-From or added Reply-To?  Don't posters enjoy better privacy when
From:-rewriter omit them?

However old-fashioned, the @NOSPAM idiom had an advantage over =40...@, namely
that it just bounced rather than creating duplicates[*].  Grr... fixing To: now.

[*] Hm... that  might be a bug somewhere in dmarc-reverse handling.  The copy
collects four signatures by d=ietf.org instead of two as usual.