On Sat 13/Jun/2020 07:19:21 +0200 Hector Santos wrote:
On 6/12/2020 4:02 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

*From rewriting is the real thing*
rewrite the From: header field, DMARC would just work
smoothly.

Occam's razor. The simplest and most honorable protocol solution is to follow the specs.  DMARC will work just fine without tampering with headers if the list server simply honored the restrictive policy. It works greats!!

A DKIM Policy compliant list server simply needs to do two things:

1) Prohibit new subscribers using addresses with restrictive domains, just like it is done here:

https://secure.winserver.com/public/code/html-subscribe?list=winserver

2) Prohibit submission from existing subscribers using addresses with restrictive domains. The existing subscriber becomes a read-only subscriber.

Restricting mailing list usage to domains with no DMARC policy is a hindrance to DMARC effectiveness. Those mailing list cannot filter out unauthenticated spammers.

Hence, we have to specify an acceptable way to rewrite From:.

This is no acceptable way to tamper the mail in this way.  But I did suggest with following. For an example of what it did to my headers:

From: Hector Santos <hsantos=40isdg....@dmarc.ietf.org>

Why is that unacceptable?

After all, the message comes from dmarc.ietf.org. They are responsible for filtering. The message comes from them. You just authored it —compare with digest mode.

I like to see the author's name displayed in the folder view. However, choosing how to rewrite should be an author's decision.

For another effect, if the list broadcasted messages maintaining the original From:, then isdg.net would receive an explosion of rows in the aggregate report, loosing the ability to match it with the mail they actually sent.

Best