Hi,

I'm but a mere user, but I cannot let this be presented as an obvious or consensual solution. Header munging is inadequate because:

1) It makes the wrong tradeoffs. DMARC started as a solution for a very specific problem (phishing targetting high impact domains) and made tradeoffs accordingly. Now that it is deployed as a general anti-spam tool, the appropriate tradeoffs are different: most users are willing to live with some degree of spam rather than have their communication tampered with and their name associated with random intermediaries. "Fait accompli" is not acceptable, even if you call it "de-facto standard".

2) It buys you nothing. As was discussed last week, DMARC by design relies on the expectation that users (or their MUA's adress book) will recognize legitimate From addresses. If you teach users that "Joe User by Random Intermediary" is the same as "Joe User", this expectation is doomed.

Cheers,
Baptiste