On 2/2/2021 9:19 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On Tue 02/Feb/2021 02:42:25 +0100 Dave Crocker wrote:
On 2/1/2021 5:38 PM, John R Levine wrote:

If we want to document existing practice, I guess we would say that reports should be authenticated and aligned if practical, but it's OK to send them if not.
exactly.

I changed it again, for failure reports, like so:

3.3.  Transport

   Email streams carrying DMARC failure reports SHOULD conform to the
   DMARC mechanism, thereby resulting in an aligned "pass".  This

"conform to" seems odd wording; it's not immediately obvious what it means here.

Perhaps:

 SHOULD provide DMARC-based authentication, to produce their own aligned "pass"

requirement is a MUST in case the sending host has a DMARC record

'sending host' is ambiguous in this context.

featuring a ruf= tag.  Indeed, special care must be taken of
   authentication in that case, as failure to authenticate failure
   reports may result in mail loops.

d/

--
Dave Crocker